Associate in Science
Career/Technical (Major Code: A2314)
Prepares students to provide medical assisting services in ambulatory healthcare facilities, including medical offices, clinics and hospitals. Medical Assistants participate in clinical, administrative and medical insurance billing and coding functions. Clinical functions include obtaining vital signs, preparing patients for and assisting with examinations and procedures, administering medications and performing treatments. Clinical functions may also include drawing blood, performing basic laboratory tests, and taking EKGs. Administrative and billing/coding functions include managing records, completing insurance coding, and providing for billing and collecting as well as serving as receptionist, and scheduling appointments.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Student will demonstrate with health professionals and patients proper oral and written communication skills with use of correct business English and medical terminology, including the ability to explain medical office policy and procedure according to mandated regulations and when applying learned business presentation skills.
- Student will analyze and evaluate patient medical records and office documents by demonstrating understanding of related basic anatomy and physiology and use of proper medical terminology and business English when creating correspondence or documenting in the record and/or when in discussion with health professionals and when providing health education to patients.
- Student will apply learned business math skills to demonstrate basic statistical information on office activity and needs.
- Student will apply personal skills, positive attitudes, cultural awareness, professional medical and business ethics, and learned front office practice proficiency with health professionals and patients within the medical setting.
- Student will use learned advanced computer skills, various types of software, and information processing to produce office projects, business communique, and coded health insurance billing documents.
|HEALTH CARE ESSENTIALS
|ELECTRONIC HEALTH RECORDS
|PHYSICIAN OFFICE LABORATORY PROCEDURES
|HUMAN STRUCTURES AND FUNCTIONS
|ADMINISTRATIVE MEDICAL ASSISTING PROCEDURES
|PHARMACOLOGY FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS
|INTRODUCTION TO MEDICAL BILLING AND CODING
|MEDICAL ASSISTING COMPREHENSIVE PRACTICUM
To earn an associate degree, additional general education and graduation requirements must be completed.