Step 5: Pay Fees or Request Funds

Enrollment Fees and Nonresident Tuition

All students are required to pay an enrollment fee and, if applicable, nonresident tuition.

For information regarding the California College Promise Grant and other financial aid available to students, see Financial Aid Programs / Scholarships. Fee structure is as follows:

Enrollment Fee

.5 unit $23
1 unit or more $46 per unit

Nonresident Tuition
In Addition to Enrollment Fees

Fee per unit $332
Note: The fees listed in this catalog are in effect at the time of printing. Enrollment fees are subject to change through California State Legislation, and other fees are subject to change through Southwestern College Governing Board action. Please consult the current class schedule for the appropriate fee.

Nonresident TUITION Exemption

Nonresident tuition with these permissive exemptions (Education Code 76140 and 76140.5) and as set out in the CCCCO Student Fee Handbook and as otherwise noted:

  • All nonresident students enrolling for 6 or fewer units; or
  • A student who is a citizen and resident of a foreign country who demonstrates a financial need and this required exemption (Education Code Section 68130.5);
  • All students, other than nonimmigrant persons under 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15), who meet the following requirements:
    • high school attendance in California for three or more years;
    • graduation from a California high school or attainment of the equivalent thereof;
    • registration or enrollment in a course offered for any term commencing on or after January 1, 2002;
    • completion of a questionnaire form prescribed by the California Community Colleges Chancellors Office verifying eligibility for this nonresident tuition exemption; and
    • in the case of a student without lawful immigration status, the filing of an affidavit that the student has filed an application to legalize their immigration status, or will file an application as soon as they are eligible to do so.

Exemptions from nonresident tuition include, as set out in the CCCCO Student Fee Handbook and as otherwise noted:

  • Students taking noncredit classes as set out in Education Code 76380
  • Apprentices taking classes of related and supplemental instruction as set out in Education Code 76380 and Labor Code, Section 3074
  • Students who are members of the armed forces of the United States stationed or domiciled in California on active duty, except those assigned to California for educational purposes, as well as veterans following discharge from a military installation with an affidavit as set out in Education Code 68075 and 68075.5
  • Certain children who are, or a spouse who is a, dependent(s) of a member of the armed forces of the United States stationed or domiciled in California on active duty
  • Certain parents and certain of their children, who are federal civil service employees and who moved to California resulting from military realignment involving relocation of at least 100 employees as set out in Education Code 68084
  • Certain job transferees as set out in Education Code 761434
  • Nonresident minor students taking a class for high school credit
  • The dependent child of any individual killed in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, if the financial need, California residency, and age requirements are met
  • Students auditing a credit course
  • Nonresident tuition shall be charged of nonresident students in credit contract education courses
  • Nonresident tuition shall not be charged of High School Special students who are nonresidents as set out in Administrative Procedure 5011 titled Admission and Concurrent Enrollment of High School and Other Young Students

For more information on this fee exemption contact Admissions and Records.


The nonresident tuition shall be paid at registration each semester or summer session and shall be set by the Governing Board of Southwestern College no later than January 1 of each year. Fees are subject to change on an annual basis.

Payment of nonresident tuition must be made at the time of registration, in accordance with the number of units in which the student enrolls. The full amount of the tuition required must be paid at this time; there is no provision for deferment of payment.

Enrollment in Error

Nonresident students, subject to payment of nonresident fees, who have been admitted to a class or classes in error without payment of the required fees, shall be excluded from such class or classes upon discovery pending payment of the fees.

Additional Fees

Student Center Fee
Chula Vista Campus Classes Only

Fee per unit $1
Maximum per academic year $10*

Beginning summer session extending through the following spring semester.

Parking Fees

Parking Fees for Southwestern Chula Vista/Higher Education Centers at National City/San Ysidro/Otay Mesa

Fall/Spring Semester

Classes will be held face-to-face at the Chula Vista, Higher Education Center National City, Otay Mesa, San Ysidro or Crown Cove Aquatic Center campuses.  Parking permits are required to park at any Southwestern College campus.  If students/visitors plan to come on campus, a semester or daily permit can be purchased at the SWC Permit Store. Parking permits are now virtual, and you will no longer receive a physical permit.

Car/Multi vehicle (District-wide) $40
Motorcycle $20
Eligible Financial Aid California College Promise Grant (CCPG) Recipients $20*
Daily Parking $3 per day
Parking Meters $1 for one hour
Automobile Permit Replacement fee $40
Motorcycle Permit Replacement fee $20

Students who are receiving California College Promise Grant A, B, C.

For additional policies pertaining to parking fees please visit (click on Admissions then on Tuition & Fees).

Health Fee

(includes the accident insurance/liability fee)

Fall/Spring Semester
.5 unit to 5.5 units $22
6 units or more $26
Summer Session $22

A health fee is collected to cover the cost of student accident insurance and to help fund the operational expenses of the Health Services Center (Ed Code 76355).

Students may be exempted for the following reasons:

  • Students who depend exclusively upon prayer for healing according to the teaching of a bona fide religious sect, denomination, or organization may petition for exemption from the health fee (available online at
  • Students who qualify for a California College Promise Grant A to cover enrollment fees.
  • High school students enrolled at the Sweetwater Union High School District taking designated classes at high school sites only.
  • High school students enrolled in the High School Special program.
  • Students attending under an approved apprenticeship training program.
Accident Insurance/Liability Fee $2

Students will pay a $2 accident insurance/liability fee only if they are enrolled in:

  • Off-campus classes where no health services are available.
  • Classes at the Chula Vista campus which meet at times when health services are not available.
  • Travel study classes which meet outside of California.

Student Activities Fee

Student Activities Sticker $16

Student Activities fee holders are eligible for scholarships, emergency loans, graphing calculator rentals, use of the computer lab in the Student Center, and on/off campus coupons and discounts. Certain students may be exempt from this fee.

Proceeds from the Student Activities fee are monitored and allocated by the Associated Students Organization to provide leadership opportunities and sponsor cultural, social, and educational programs for all students. Student Activities stickers, coupons, and other information can be picked up at the Information Window in the Student Center.

For credit/refund information, call (619) 482-6568, or stop by the Student Center Information Window.

Student Representation Fee - $2 per semester

Effective January 2020 Students may opt-out to be exempt from the Student Representation Fee. Assembly Bill 1504 – Fee to support the Student Senate of the California Community Colleges (SSCCC) and SWC student leaders promote the viewpoints of our students to federal, state and local governments. 

INSTRUCTIONAL Materials Fees for 2023–2024

Courses may require additional materials fees for a credit or noncredit course. Students are encouraged to review course equipment and supply costs with counselors, school deans, and instructors before registration. No science laboratory fee or deposit is required; however, students are liable for breakage and students will be charged accordingly. See the current schedule of classes for most recent fees. (See course descriptions for materials fees) (Ed Code 76365, Title 5 Section 59400, BP & AP 5030 - Fees).

Fees for Records

Students may obtain copies of any of their own records to which they have legal access for a fee of $1 per page. The first two official Southwestern College transcripts are free. Additional official copies may be obtained for a fee. See the Website for Southwestern College Transcripts. Unofficial transcripts may be printed from WebAdvisor at no charge. (Ed Code 762223, BP & AP 5030- Fees)

Exercise Science Facilities Fees

Where the District incurs additional expenses because a physical education course is required to use non-District facilities, students enrolled in the course shall be charged a fee for participating in the course. Such a fee shall not exceed the student’s calculated share of the additional expenses incurred by the District (Ed Code 76395, BP & AP 5030 - Fees).

Fee Schedule for Southwestern College Transcripts

Students may request transcripts either online at (click on Admissions then on Transcripts) or at the Admissions Office at the Chula Vista campus and the Higher Education Centers at National City, Otay Mesa, or San Ysidro.

Each student is entitled to two complimentary transcripts ever (regular mail processing only). Fees are required for additional transcript requests. All fees must be paid in full for requests to be processed. 

Cost per transcript Time to Delivery
First Two Requests:
Free (regular mail processing only)*
Additional Requests:
Regular Request
5-7 business days from the day the request is received, plus mailing time.
Rush Service
2-3 business days from the day the request received, plus mailing time OR same day pick-up.

If you require expedited processing, you will be responsible for any additional fees.

Federal Express*

INCLUDES the $8 Rush Service Fee (Delivery 1–2 Business days Monday through Friday only).

Location Cost Per Recipient
Continental United States $28.30
Alaska/Hawaii $31.30
International Federal Express $51.30

All Federal Express requests must be submitted online.

NOTE: Federal Express does not guarantee delivery to certain zip codes.


Refund Policy and Deadlines

A student will be refunded registration fees for any program changes (withdrawals) made during the first two weeks of instruction for a primary term (Fall and Spring) course, or by the 10 percent point of actual class meeting days. Please check for dates of specific classes on MySWC. For Short Session classes, this may be the first day of class.

  • Mandatory fees to include health, student center, and material fees are also subject to the above policy.
  • A class added after the refund deadline is not eligible for a refund.

REFUNDS ARE NOT AUTOMATIC.  Eligible students should request a refund through the Cashiers Office by phone (619) 482-6307 or in person in room S102 at the Cesar Chavez Building. You may also download and complete the Refund Request Form (PDF) and submit as stated on the form.  Please allow 3–4 weeks for receipt of your refund check.

Accounts of students who officially withdraw from class by the refund deadline will be credited (pursuant to Section 58508 of Subchapter 6 of Chapter9 of Division 6, Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations). It is imperative that a current address be on file in Admissions.

Withholding of Student Records

The Dean of Student Services, upon proper notification and justification by administrators in charge of student discipline, may withhold student records, registration, and/or counseling privileges for students who are under suspension, academic or progress probation, or are in violation of any disciplinary contract. (BP & AP 5035 - Withholding of Student Records)