Certificate of Achievement
Transfer Preparation (Major Code: 01411)
The ESL Communication Certificate is designed for students with the goal of achieving a mastery of English language skills at the college level, sufficient to thrive in any professional, undergraduate, or graduate level setting where English is the dominant language. After completion of this certificate, students may choose to continue their undergraduate study to complete a degree or transfer to a university. Students will already have achieved completed coursework that fulfills general education for SWC, CSUGE, IGETC, and/or four-year universities.
- ESL 159A fills the Humanities general education requirement for SWC & CSUGE
- ESL 115A, ENG 115, or ENG 115H fill the English Composition general education requirement for SWC, IGETC, & CSUGE
Students intending to pursue a degree or transfer should select their COMM course with the assistance of a counselor to ensure that it satisfies the requirements of a student's chosen degree or university.
- COMM 103 or COMM 104 fills the Oral Communication general education requirement for CSUGE, and the Communication and Analytical Thinking requirement for SWC
- COMM 160 fills the Critical Thinking general education requirement for CSUGE and the Communication and Analytical Thinking general education requirement for SWC
- COMM 176 or COMM 200 fills the Social and Behavioral Sciences general education requirement for SWC, CSUGE, & IGETC
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Student will develop a level of ability to speak English that allows them to pursue professional, academic, and personal goals with confidence.
- Student will develop a level of ability to understand written English that allows them to pursue professional, academic, and personal goals with confidence.
|Program Requirements 1|
|Section 1: Required ESL Courses|
& ESL 159B
|ACADEMIC ESL ADVANCED READING AND GRAMMAR IV|
and ACADEMIC ESL ADVANCED WRITING AND GRAMMAR IV
|Section 2: Transfer Level Composition Course|
|Choose one course||4|
|COLLEGE COMPOSITION FOR MULTILINGUAL STUDENTS|
or ENGL 115
|COLLEGE COMPOSITION: READING AND WRITING ANALYTICALLY|
or ENGL 115H
|HONORS COLLEGE COMPOSITION: READING AND WRITING ANALYTICALLY|
|Section 3: Communication Course|
|Choose one course||3|
or COMM 104
or COMM 160
|ARGUMENTATION AND DEBATE|
or COMM 176
or COMM 200
|INTRODUCTION TO MASS COMMUNICATION AND SOCIETY|
Some courses within this program may require additional coursework that must be completed prior to enrollment in these courses. Please consult the individual course listings for prerequisites and any other limitations on enrollment.