Associate in Science
Career/Technical (Major Code: 02390)
Prepares students for direct patient care in situations where he/she is under the supervision of physicians and/or registered nurses. A major portion of the educational experience takes place in a variety of healthcare settings.
Program Student Learning Outcome Statement
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate the ability to articulate professionally and competently in the healthcare setting on issues regarding patient care.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze patient data related to the medical condition(s) and adjust patient care according to the findings.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate the ability to analyze patient data related to the medical condition(s) and adjust patient care according to the findings.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will analyze, compute and correctly provide medications to the patient in the healthcare setting.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate collegiality and appropriate communication techniques when working with diverse healthcare providers, patients and family members.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate critical thinking skills and differentiation in plan of care for patients from various cultural backgrounds.
|CNA Certification or equivalent||0-8.5|
|BIOL 190||HUMAN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY||4|
|CD 170||PRINCIPLES OF CHILD DEVELOPMENT||3|
|HLTH 204||FUNDAMENTALS OF NUTRITION||3|
|MATH 45||ELEMENTARY ALGEBRA||4|
|ADN 140||READING AND COMPOSITION FOR NURSING AND ALLIED HEALTH OCCUPATIONS||3|
|VN 30||INTRODUCTION TO PHARMACOLOGY||1|
|VN 31||BASIC CONCEPTS IN PHARMACOLOGY||1|
|VN 103||VOCATIONAL NURSING I||6|
|VN 103L||VOCATIONAL NURSING LABORATORY I||6|
|VN 130||PHARMACOLOGY FOR NURSES||2|
|VN 201||VOCATIONAL NURSING II||6|
|VN 201L||VOCATIONAL NURSING LABORATORY II||6|
|PSYC 101||GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY||3|
|VN 250||MATERNAL-CHILD-ADULT HEALTH||4.5|
|VN 250L||MATERNAL-CHILD-ADULT HEALTH - VOCATIONAL NURSING LABORATORY III||4.5|
|VN 251||TRANSITION TO PRACTICE||1|
|VN 251L||LEADERSHIP-VOCATIONAL NURSING LABORATORY IV||1.5|
COMM 174, Interpersonal Communication (3 units) must be taken as part of the General Education Requirement for vocational nursing.
Proficiencies required for department acceptance into this program include basic nursing skills (CNA or equivalent), college-level reading, and elementary algebra.
Transfer credit shall be given for related previous education completed within the last five years, and it will be considered on a case by case basis (Vocational Nursing Practice Act, Article 5, Section 2535).
Note: Upon successful completion of the program, the student is eligible to apply to the California Board of Vocational Nurses and Psychiatric Technicians to take the examination for licensure as a vocational nurse.
To earn an associate degree, additional general education and graduation requirements must be completed.