Associate in Science
Career/Technical (Major Code: 02345)
Prepares the student to function in operating rooms under the direct supervision of physicians and nurses. A major portion of the learning experience will take place in hospital operating rooms.
Program Student Learning Outcome Statement
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate the ability to articulate professionally and competently in perioperative setting.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate the ability to analyze patient data related to their surgical condition and adjust the patient’s intraoperative plan of care according to the findings.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will analyze, compute and adjust operative equipment and instrument settings for the surgical patient in the perioperative setting.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate collegiality and appropriate communication techniques when working with diverse healthcare providers and patients in the perioperative setting.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate critical thinking skills and differentiation in provision of intraoperative care for patients from various cultural backgrounds.
|Acceptance into the Surgical Technology program|
||HUMAN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY
or HUMAN ANATOMY and MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY
|ST 110||INTRODUCTION TO SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY||8|
|ST 120||SURGICAL LABORATORY||4|
|ST 130||ADVANCED OPERATING ROOM TECHNIQUES||4|
|ST 140||PRACTICUM: MAJOR SURGICAL SPECIALTIES||8|
|ST 150||CURRENT CONCEPTS IN SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY||1|
|ST 160||PRACTICUM: SUBSPECIALTIES||6|
The following courses must be taken as part of the General Education Requirement for surgical technology:
|BIOL 265||GENERAL MICROBIOLOGY||4|
|COMM 174||INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION||3|
|PSYC 101||GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY||3|
Note: Upon successful completion of the program, the student is eligible to apply to take the Surgical Technology Certification Examination, which is sponsored by the Association of Surgical Technologists. Passing this examination allows the individual to use the title Certified Surgical Technologist.
To earn an associate degree, additional general education and graduation requirements must be completed.
Some courses within this program may require additional coursework that must be completed prior to enrollment in these courses. Please consult the individual course listings for prerequisites and any other limitations on enrollment.