Grade Change and Disputes

Grade Changes

The instructor of the course shall determine the grade to be awarded to each student. The determination of the student’s grade by the instructor shall be final in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetence.

The correction of a grade given, which is requested by a student, shall only be allowed for a request initiated within one year following the end of the term in which it was assigned. Exceptions to the one-year limit on grade changes may be requested by petition of the student in extenuating circumstances. A formal written petition must be submitted to Admissions and Records. Extenuating circumstances are verified cases of accident, illnesses, or other circumstances beyond the control of the student.

Grade Disputes

The removal or change of an incorrect grade from a student’s record shall only be done pursuant to Education Code Section 76232, or by an alternative method that ensures that each student shall be afforded an objective and reasonable review of the requested grade change.

Since the procedure requires that the student first request a grade change from the instructor, provisions shall be made to allow another faculty member to substitute for the instructor if the student has filed a discrimination complaint, the instructor is not available or where the College District determines that it is possible that there may have been gross misconduct by the original instructor.

In the case of perceived mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetence, the student may pursue a grade grievance (see (BP/AP 5530- Student Rights and Grievances). (BP/AP 4231 Grade Changes for full procedure)