Academic Renewal

A student may petition to have their academic record reviewed for academic renewal of substandard academic performance (grades D or F) under the following conditions:

  1. At least one year must have elapsed since the most recent coursework to be disregarded was completed.
  2. The student must have completed, at any accredited post-secondary institution:
    1. 12 units with at least a 2.5 GPA, or
    2. 18 units with at least a 2.0 GPA.

Substandard coursework completed at Southwestern College may have a maximum of 30 units eliminated from consideration in the computation of cumulative grade point average.

Courses used to fulfill the requirements of previously earned degrees are not eligible for academic renewal.

When academic renewal procedures permit previously recorded substandard coursework to be disregarded in the computation of a student’s grade point average, the student’s permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all coursework remains legible to ensure a complete academic history.

A student may be granted academic renewal only once at Southwestern College, and academic renewal decisions are irreversible and permanent.

Academic renewal procedures may not conflict with the District’s obligation to retain and destroy records or with the instructor’s ability to determine a student’s final grade.

Petitions to request academic renewal shall be available in the Admissions and Records Office. Official transcripts of all academic work, from all accredited post-secondary institutions, must be on file in the Admissions and Records Office at the time of request for Academic Renewal.

Petitions will be reviewed by Southwestern College’s Petition Review Committee. This petition has no bearing on the District’s Course Repetition/Withdrawal procedure. (BP & AP 4240 – Academic Renewal)