Independent Study

Independent Study classes are listed in the catalog by discipline with the designation number 299. Students must submit an Independent Study petition during the first three (3) weeks of the semester or the first (1st) week of summer session.

To be eligible for an Independent Study class, a student must:
  • Be enrolled in one other graded course;
  • Have completed at least one course in the subject or related areas or have demonstrated competence in the area in which the student wishes to study;
  • Be in good academic standing (minimum of 2.0 cumulative G.P.A.) and non-probationary status.
  • Have not completed more than one Independent Study course in the same discipline pursuant to College District Procedure 4227 AP - Repeatable Courses. (i.e.- Art, Biology, Business, etc.)
  • Have not completed more than 9 units in Independent Study courses.

Independent Study projects must meet the same academic standards as the standard course. Instructors must be willing to meet with the student at least equivalent to that commonly available to students in courses conducted by other instructional methods.

Steps to Petition for Independent Study:

1. If the student meets the eligibility requirements, student shall submit a completed and approved Independent Study petition to Admissions and Records prior to the end of the third (3rd) week of the semester or the first (1st) week of the summer session.

2. Student who is petitioning will work with the evaluating instructor to determine the following:

  • Number of units and hours of study per semester (1-3 units).
  • Title of Project
  • Objectives and Description of the Project

3. The evaluating instructor will determine the method of evaluation before the student signs the petition indicating their approval.

4. The evaluating instructor will obtain the signature and approval from the Discipline Chair or cognizant School/Center Dean or designee within three (3) working days. Student will be contacted by the evaluating instructor to pick up the approved petition to submit to Admissions and Records.

5. Upon receipt of the petition, Admissions and Records will verify that the student has met eligibility enrollment requirements, signed and dated the petition.

6. When the Independent Study petition is approved, Admissions and Records will email the petition to Instructional Support Services to create the course for the semester.  Afterwards, Admissions will enroll the student in the 299 course.

7. After the student has been enrolled in the Independent Study course, Admissions and Records will email the outcome to the student. Enrollment fees and/or nonresident fees, if applicable, must be paid at the time of enrollment into the course.

8. The evaluating instructor shall assign a grade by the end of the semester. (A, B, C, D, F, P, NP). Independent Study classes will not be eligible for an incomplete (I) grade.

Independent Study petitions are available in Admissions at the Chula Vista campus and the Higher Education Centers at National City, Otay Mesa, and San Ysidro, or at (click on Admissions and Financial Aid, then on Admissions Forms).

(Education Code Section 55230 and BP & AP 4101 - Independent Study)