Southwestern College encourages enrollment of students from other countries who have the academic background and potential to succeed in a collegiate institution.
Prospective International Students applying for admission for an F-1 student visa need to meet the following requirements:
- Submit an International Student application by the posted deadline date. Deadlines are posted on our International Student page. We do not accept new international student applications for summer sessions.
- The College District shall charge a non-refundable fee to process the application for admission.
- Submit a passport-size photograph.
- Submit copies of passport, visa, I-20’s, and I-94 (if currently in possession).
- All applicants whose native language is not English must meet a minimum score on either: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and/or International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Students who have attended college outside the United States must provide an official transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES is licensed and bonded to evaluate foreign transcripts.)
- All applicants must submit proof of high school completion or equivalent to U.S. standards.
- Submit affidavit statement of support from a financial sponsor accompanied by a certified letter or bank statement from the sponsor’s bank, verifying in U.S. dollars that sufficient funds are available to meet all the student’s educational and financial needs. Scholarship recipients need to submit official scholarship award letter from scholarship agency outlining amount of the award and scholarship criteria, in lieu of financial statement. Please refer to college website for current information.
- Submit a written 500 word personal statement which describes the educational objectives and goals of the international applicant/student
- Students with dependents will be required to submit additional documentation, including additional financial sponsorship statement and evidence of applicant’s relation/dependency to student.
A letter of acceptance will be issued to student with all necessary details.
- I-20 is issued to the prospective international student.
The additional steps are:
- Complete an online SWC application for admission.
- Must declare a major for the associate degree.
- Attend SWC International Student Orientation prior to the semester.
- Take the SWC basic skill placement tests. Assessment results will be used to determine appropriate class levels.
- Pay the non-resident tuition fees in addition to enrollment fees.
- Register in courses and complete a minimum of 12 units with a minimum 2.0 grade point average each semester.
International Students transferring from another United States college or university must:
- Fulfill all the admissions requirements previously listed.
- Have a valid F-1 student visa status (currently attending the school specified on most current I-20 form)
- Have completed college-level work at the college or university with a minimum of 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale. International students who are on academic probation or have been disqualified at last institution attended will not be considered for admission.
- Obtain transfer clearance from the previous college, university or language school and submit to Southwestern College.
Upon acceptance to SWC, applicants should request that current institution transfer their SEVIS record to SWC to proceed with I-20 issuance.
Admission requirements: Mexican Nationals/Commuting from Mexico to the United States – F-3 visa
- Complete and submit an International Commuter Student Application.
- Fulfill all the admissions requirements listed on the Commuter Student Application.
- Verify permanent residence in Mexico and provide documentation. International students must maintain residency in Mexico throughout duration of study at SWC. If student would like to change to F-1 visa status, he/she must fulfill all F-1 visa application requirements.
- Must declare a major for associate degree.
- May be enrolled as a full (12 units or more) or part-time (less than 12 units) student.
- Must determine and verify funds for tuition and other fees per Term.
Student must declare part-time or full-time status upon admission, and notify Admissions if there are any subsequent changes to their enrollment status. The student’s SEVIS record will be updated to reflect full-or part-time status, as required by SEVIS compliance.
Concurrent enrollment of International Students – students attending another college or institution
- Complete an online SWC application for admission.
- Submit an official letter from current school’s international student office, verifying concurrent enrollment at Southwestern College has been authorized. Letter must identify the specific authorized semester and the specific classes.
- Submit copies of current passport, visa, I-20, and I-94.
- Letter of authorization from concurrent college must be submitted every semester.
All international students must maintain satisfactory progress toward an educational goal and completion of the requirements. Students who do not maintain satisfactory academic progress and/or standards will be placed on a one semester academic probationary status and after two semesters will be academically disqualified.
International students are required to provide evidence of health insurance coverage.
All international students must become familiar with the regulations of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and assume full responsibility for complying with those regulations and maintaining valid F1 visa status at all times. Southwestern College will report required events into the SEVIS program as mandated by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). (AP5012 - International Students)