External Exams Credit

Southwestern College grants credit toward its associate degrees for successfully passing external examinations including Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES). Such exams may also be used to certify areas of CSU GE-Breadth and the IGETC.  In order to receive credit, students must submit a Credit for Prior Learning petition and must have official scores (transcripts) submitted directly to the Admissions Office.  If AP, IB, CLEP or DANTES exam credit is needed for graduation, the official test score must be on file before petitioning for graduation.  

Select the exam type from the button options above  to access the charts.  These will show the exams, the equivalent course(s), if any, at Southwestern College and the specific area of Southwestern College, CSU GE-Breadth and the IGETC general education requirements that may be cleared.

Please be aware that each college or university sets its own criteria for awarding external exam credit.  Since external exam credit can vary at each university, students are encouraged to speak with an academic counselor and/or check the four-year transfer university catalog to confirm how these credits will be received toward credit in the major.