Associate in Science
Career/Technical (Major Code: 02390)
Prepares students for direct patient care in situations where they are under the supervision of physicians and/or registered nurses. A major portion of the educational experience takes place in a variety of healthcare settings. Upon successful completion of the program, the student is eligible to apply to the California Board of Vocational Nurses and Psychiatric Technicians to take the examination for licensure as a vocational nurse.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate the ability to articulate professionally and competently in the healthcare setting on issues regarding patient care.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze patient data related to the medical condition(s) and adjust patient care according to the findings.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate the ability to analyze patient data related to the medical condition(s) and adjust patient care according to the findings.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will analyze, compute and correctly provide medications to the patient in the healthcare setting.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate collegiality and appropriate communication techniques when working with diverse healthcare providers, patients and family members.
- Upon completion of the program, the student will demonstrate critical thinking skills and differentiation in plan of care for patients from various cultural backgrounds.
|CNA Certification or equivalent||0-8.5|
|ADN 140||READING AND COMPOSITION FOR NURSING AND ALLIED HEALTH OCCUPATIONS||3|
|BIOL 260||HUMAN ANATOMY||4|
|BIOL 261||PRINCIPLES OF HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY||4|
|CD 170||PRINCIPLES OF CHILD DEVELOPMENT||3|
|HLTH 204||FUNDAMENTALS OF NUTRITION||3|
|MATH 60||INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA I (FOR LIBERAL ARTS MAJORS)||4|
|VN 30||INTRODUCTION TO PHARMACOLOGY||1|
|VN 31||BASIC CONCEPTS IN PHARMACOLOGY||1|
|VN 103||VOCATIONAL NURSING I||6|
|VN 103L||VOCATIONAL NURSING LABORATORY I||6|
|VN 130||PHARMACOLOGY FOR NURSES||2|
|VN 201||VOCATIONAL NURSING II||6|
|VN 201L||VOCATIONAL NURSING LABORATORY II||6|
|PSYC 101||GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY||3|
|VN 250||MATERNAL-CHILD-ADULT HEALTH||4.5|
|VN 250L||MATERNAL-CHILD-ADULT HEALTH - VOCATIONAL NURSING LABORATORY III||4.5|
|VN 251L||LEADERSHIP-VOCATIONAL NURSING LABORATORY IV||1.5|
Math proficiency as evidenced by earning a “C” or better in MATH 60 or a higher-numbered math course with equivalent content, except MATH 100 or MATH 115 which do not meet the minimum program standards. Recommend MATH 119, PSYC 270, or SOC 270 for students planning to transfer.
Align with CCCO Guided Pathways, keep on clear path to completion of AS degree and eligibility to enter the LVN to ADN Step-Up Program.
Transfer credit shall be given for related previous education completed within the last five years, and it will be considered on a case by case basis (Vocational Nursing Practice Act, Article 5, Section 2535).
To earn an associate degree, additional general education and graduation requirements must be completed.