Student Transfer Achievement Reform (STAR) Act (SB1440)
Associate in Arts
Transfer Preparation* (Major Code: 01245)
Provides programs for students who wish to become professional musicians; prepares for a career in public school teaching; broaden their general knowledge of music, develop performance skills, or pursue an advance degree in music. Includes theory, musicianship, and performances skills. Transfer students must pass proficiency exams in these areas.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental aspects and principles of music, including but not limited to: music theory, notation, chord structures, form, instrumental/vocal technique, performances practices.
- Students will perform in an ensemble with a diverse group of people, including those of a variety of performance abilities and backgrounds.
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:
- Completion of minimum 60 semester or 90 quarter units of transferable degree applicable courses.
- Minimum overall grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework.
- Minimum 18 semester or 27 quarter units in major or area of emphasis with a minimum grade of “C” (or “Pass”) for each course in the major.
- Completion of the California State University General Education (CSU GE) Breadth pattern or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern for CSU. For more information, refer to the catalog section, “Certificate of Achievement” under Graduation, Certificates, and Degree Requirements.
|Group 1: Required Core|
|MUS 101||MUSIC THEORY I||3|
|MUS 102||MUSIC THEORY II||3|
|MUS 109||MUSIC THEORY III||3|
|MUS 111||AURAL SKILLS I||1|
|MUS 113||AURAL SKILLS II||1|
|MUS 114||AURAL SKILLS III||1|
|Group 2: Applied Music|
|Select four courses:||2|
|APPLIED MUSIC---INDIVIDUAL STUDY I|
|APPLIED MUSIC---INDIVIDUAL STUDY II|
|APPLIED MUSIC---INDIVIDUAL STUDY III|
|APPLIED MUSIC---INDIVIDUAL STUDY IV|
|Group 3: Large Ensemble|
|Select four courses:||4|
|SMALL PERFORMING GROUPS I|
|SMALL PERFORMING GROUPS II|
|SMALL PERFORMING GROUPS III|
|SMALL PERFORMING GROUPS IV|
|CONCERT CHOIR I|
|CONCERT CHOIR II|
|CONCERT CHOIR III|
|CONCERT CHOIR IV|
|INTRODUCTION TO MARIACHI PERFORMANCE I|
|INTRODUCTION TO MARIACHI PERFORMANCE II|
|INTRODUCTION TO MARIACHI PERFORMANCE III|
|INTRODUCTION TO MARIACHI PERFORMANCE IV|
|CONCERT BAND I|
|CONCERT BAND II|
|CONCERT BAND III|
|CONCERT BAND IV|
|GUITAR ENSEMBLE I|
|GUITAR ENSEMBLE II|
|GUITAR ENSEMBLE III|
|GUITAR ENSEMBLE IV|
|LATIN JAZZ ENSEMBLE I|
|LATIN JAZZ ENSEMBLE II|
|LATIN JAZZ ENSEMBLE III|
|LATIN JAZZ ENSEMBLE IV|
|List A: Emphases Courses||3-4|
|MUSIC THEORY IV|
|AURAL SKILLS IV|
|CLASS PIANO I|
|CLASS PIANO II|
|CLASS PIANO III|
|INTRODUCTION TO MUSIC|
Students planning to transfer to a four-year college or university should complete courses specific to the transfer institution of choice. University requirements vary from institution to institution and are subject to change. Therefore, it is important to verify transfer major preparation and general education requirements through consultation with a counselor in either the Counseling Center or Transfer Center. See catalog Transfer Courses Information section for further information.