The Southwestern College Honors Program Mission Statement:
“To serve students by creating exceptional academic experiences.”
What are the benefits?
- Enhanced admission opportunities to the most selective transfer institutions.
- Increased scholarship opportunities.
- Special recognition on transcript.
- Intellectual growth and exploration of new ideas and concepts.
- Increased learning opportunities through research, study and independent projects.
- One-on-one mentoring from faculty members in the field of interest.
- Networking opportunities through research, study and independent projects.
- Career and employment networking opportunities.
- Entering freshman - Have an overall minimum GPA of 3.5 in all high school work.
Continuing student - Have completed a minimum of 12 units of college-level courses with a GPA of 3.2 in college work.
- Complete Honors Program Application.
- Provide copies of transcripts of previous academic work. Entering freshman submit high school transcript and continuing college student submit college transcript. Unofficial copies will be accepted.
- Must be eligible for English 115 (ENGL 115) and proficient in college-level reading.
Interested students may register for an Honors course during the registration period and complete an Honors application during the first four weeks of class. Each Honors course taken and accepted by the Honors Committee is recorded as such on the transcript.
Program Completion Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 15 units in Honors courses.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.2 in all Honors courses and a minimum overall GPA of 3.2.
For general information and to apply to the Honors Program, contact the designated Honors Counselor in the Transfer Center at (619) 482-6472.