Smoking and Tobacco Products
District BP & AP 3570 and Government Code Section 7597.1(a) authorizes governing bodies of each community college to take the following steps in regards to establishing policies on smoking and tobacco use.
- Set enforcement standards for the College District
- Impose a fine
- Inform the public, employees and students of the smoking and tobacco use policy and enforcement measures used on the College District’s campuses through signage and other means.
This procedure explains the College District’s protocols for implementing Policy 3570 Smoking and Tobacco Use including informing students, employees, and visitors regarding enforcement and consequences for violation of the policy. The success of this program is dependent upon the cooperation of the smoking and nonsmoking public, and the College District will rely primarily on fines and social enforcement as the methods of enforcement.
Smoking is defined as inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying a lighted or vapor-producing tobacco product. Tobacco is defined as all tobacco-derived or containing products, including, but not limited to, cigarettes (clove, bidis, kreteks), electronic cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos, hookah smoked products, and oral tobacco (spit and spitless, smokeless, chew, snuff).
Social enforcement refers to the establishment of a broadly shared norm and value within our community. Enforcement at SWC will primarily rely on fellow community members engaging in direct, honest and supportive communication. The College District does not encourage or tolerate hostile actions, speech or other conduct directed at a fellow student, employee or visitor related to the enforcement of this policy. Campus Police Officers who view violations of the policy may approach any individual and request student or employee identification.
- Smoking and other uses of tobacco products are prohibited in all properties and in all vehicles owned, leased or controlled by the College District.
- Smoking and other uses of tobacco products are prohibited in parking lots owned, leased or controlled by the College District.
- Restrictions on smoking apply to all campuses of the Southwestern Community College District currently operating and any future campuses.
- The sale of, advertisement for, and/or promotion of tobacco products is prohibited on any property under the jurisdiction of the College District, including the Southwestern College Sun newspaper and El Sol magazine. Advertising in a newspaper or magazine that is not produced by SWC and is sold legally on College District property is exempt.
- The distribution of free samples of smoking and tobacco products is prohibited.
- Smoking shall be permitted in college-district sponsored theater and dance productions where smoking is part of the script.
The violation of policy 3570 will result in the following fines:
- First offense: $35
- Second or subsequent offense: $50
- The Student Health Services Office will maintain a current listing of tobacco use cessation programs available to assist employees and students.
- Notices of the policy shall be posted at principle entrances to the campus, shall be included in the college catalog and all class schedules, and posted on the college district’s website in a visible location.
- Signage informing the community of the prohibition of smoking and tobacco products shall be placed in locations where students or staff congregate and where the most frequent violations occur.